One year after his passing we remember our Founder Prof. Roberto Sorrentino.
In a complex year, despite the difficulties amplified by the pandemic, RF Microtech confirms growth and development, relying on solid foundations laid by Prof. Sorrentino and following the path to excellence that he traced over the years.
Founder and President of the company RF Microtech Srl:
- On January 31, 2020 he was awarded the honor of Grand Officer of the Order of Merit of the Italian Republic for his commitment in the field of research. The prestigious award was conferred to him by the Head of State, Sergio Mattarella, on the proposal of the Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte.
- In 1990 Professor Sorrentino, former Professor of Electromagnetic Fields at the Department of Engineering of the University of Perugia, where he was also Dean, has entirely dedicated his research to electromagnetism and its various applications, such as telecommunications systems and industrial sensors.
- In 2007, together with a group of young engineers, Professor Sorrentino founded RF Microtech Srl, an university spin-off specialized in microwave and radiofrequency technologies. Today we are leaders in the field of design of antennas and systems for satellite communications and we have 25 employees. A reality in constant growth, which boasts consolidated collaborations with the European Space Agency and with Italian and international leading companies in the reference sectors. We are associated with the Umbria Aerospace Cluster, of which Professor Sorrentino was vice-president.
- In 2010 he was awarded the the IEEE Microwave Career Award, a recognition that is given annually by the Microwave Theory and Techniques Society, one of the leading societies which constitutes the IEEE, the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. This is the world’s largest and most prestigious association in the field of electrical engineering, with approximately 400,000 members worldwide.
Other awards from IEEE
An active member of the IEEE and the Microwave Theory and Techniques Society (MTT-S) throughout his career, he was elected an IEEE Fellow for his contribution to the modelling of planar and quasi-planar microwave and mmWave circuits.
- In 1993 he received the IEEE MTT-S Meritorious Service Award,
- In 2000 the IEEE Third Millennium Medal,
- In 2004 the IEEE MTT-S Distinguished Educator Award, and in 2015 the IEEE Microwave Career Award.
- In 2012, with S Bastioli and C Tomassoni, he received the MTT-S Microwave Prize for the paper “A New Class of Waveguide Dual-Mode Filters Using TM and Nonresonating Modes”, published in the MTT Transactions.He received He was also among the founders and first president of the European Microwave Association and the Italian Society of Electromagnetism.
He was also among the founders and first president of the European Microwave Association and the Italian Society of Electromagnetism.
Prof. Roberto Sorrentino was also called in various parts of the world to give lectures and lectio magistralis.